INTS100: Conclusion

It was difficult to discern the direction I wanted to take with this project. I had come to terms with the basic premise of protest. During my military service, it was very explicit that we could not participate in protest. Later I found that we could not participate in military uniform or in an official capacity because of the military's tradition of keeping politics out of the military. I had read and learned about the United State's history with protest. The connection of veterans and their participation in protest was a personal journey that invited me to question why I would repress my opinions on the escalation of force that I'd witness. Confused by beliefs that justified violent means to maintain order and feeling incensed by the blatant violation of human rights. The concept that I chose was "Loyalty Demands Dissent" which is free of bias and does not adhere to any ideas of arbitrary loyalties. It provided me the understanding to view violations of human rights more objectively. Engaging in the research and my own endeavors to participate with local veterans in antiwar and nonviolent movements aspiring for social justice allowed me to lean into the deconstruction of a belief system that contradicts emerging ideas that I'm choosing to cultivate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTS100: Introduction

INTS100: Annotated Bibliography